Search This Blog

Monday, March 8, 2010

Louise Bourgeois




I worked for Louise Bourgeois for about ten years as her personal photographer.  In 1985, she had fired her last photographer and I made an exchange that I would photograph her work in exchange for a portrait. It was the start of a long relationship.  I spent hundreds of hours photographing her work under her close supervision and, once again, I came to understand what it means to be a great artist.  In the time I worked for Louise, the relationship worked because I was invisible - in the sense that I left my ego at the door.  What I took away from Louise, was that as an artist you should be careful whom you trust.  That you could take the hurts and pain of your life experience and  nurture and incubate them, covet and nurse them, into artistic expression.

This print is owned by Stephen Alesch and Robin Standefer.

It was featured in the film LOUISE BOURGEOIS, THE SPIDER, THE MISTRESS AND THE TANGERINE A FILM BY MARIONCAJORI AND AMEI WALLACH

http://romanandwilliams.com. http://artkaleidoscope.org/bourgeois.htm, www.diaart.org/exhibitions/main/78 -l





1 comment:

  1. This is just stunning, Peter! I could read your blog and look at your photographs all day long.

    ReplyDelete