Search This Blog

Monday, March 8, 2010

Orson Welles



Orson Welles 1977 Copyright Peter Bellamy 2010, all right reserved.

Working for Mr. Welles was my first job out of art school at Pratt Institute.

For a week I worked under his direction and to this day, what I learned from him has not only defined how I photograph and how I light, but who I am as an artist. I heard endless stories of his day at MGM, the people he worked with and, most particularly, how to light.  When you work for a great artist you also learn a set of values, a code of honor. That you are responsible to your art. As an artist you are a creator of language, a storyteller, and the story that you tell is your own story. I realized that Mr. Welles was ultimately Citizen Kane, and that his masterpiece is autobiographical.

No comments:

Post a Comment