Search This Blog

Monday, January 9, 2012

Playwright Portrait, Melinda Lopez, Excerpt from Sonia Flew


The Playwright Melinda Lopez, 2006
pswb©2012

 
SONIA FLEW


 
PROLOGUE
PILAR stands in the surf. She throws flowers.
PILAR
Calm the waters, Oshún. Lady of Charity, have mercy on me. Prepare my passage. Sand. And sea. Ninety miles spread across the ocean like oil on water. (Sound of waves.) I am not afraid. They say that only God can give life, and only God can take it away. But they are men. And they have never given life. I have. Does this make me God? I have a daughter.
(Lights rise on SONIA isolated)
I have a daughter. I have a daughter. (She steps under the waves and disappears.)
SONIA
And I said, I do not forgive you. I will never forgive you. You have broken my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment