Search This Blog

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Playwright Portrait, Mac Wellman, Excerpt from Antigone




The Playwright Mac Wellman, 2006
pswb©2011


ANTIGONE
By Mac Wellman
___
Antigone:
Once senses the presence of an unknown god. Then another. Then another. We behold for the first time (once more) the curvature of the earth. Once more the Rock appears. Castle Rock. In the middle of air. High above us. The Rock opens. A brilliant geode, violet and luminous. Antigone is enshrined within. She looks almost like a goddess. Which one? No man can say. No man can say. No man can say. How many can stay. And I slipped out the back and I made myself very small and I slipped out the back way and when I awoke. I was in a different place, a thin place, as though it were the place of a compass focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment