Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Playwright Portrait, Gina Gionfriddo, Excerpt from Beck Shaw


Gina Gionfriddo, Playwright 2010
pswb©2010

a quote from the play, "Becky Shaw."
performed @ second stage nyc 2010



SUZANNA: Iraq is not your problem, Becky is not your problem...
MAX: That's right. They're not. And I make no apologies. Unless you're Ghandi or Jesus, you have a limited sphere of responsibility. You have a plot of land and the definition of a moral life is tending that plot of land--
SUZANNA: You need new material. I've heard the "plot of land" speech.
MAX: Becky Shaw is not on my plot of land! You are. And I tend my plot. I will always tend my plot.
SUZANNA: You make me sound like an obligation. Am I more than that to you?
MAX: Yes! If I didn't want you on my plot, I would rip you out and compost you. I want you on my plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment