Pages

▼

Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Artist David Budd, 1986



The Artist David Budd 1986
copyright Peter Bellamy 2010

David Budd left the sheltered obscurity of Florida in the 1950s, after seeing a film on Jackson Pollack.  In pursuit of the big dream, he went first to Paris than to New York; he fell in with similar artist and had modest success.  Here, pictured in his studio, lies David Budd.  How he was injured, I am not sure.  Perhaps gambling and drinking - he mentioned something about OTB (off track betting). I prefer the other story, that he fell off a horse.  He had to be in pain, but the brave face and cheerfulness was all he offered.  He threw himself to his art, like Christians to the lions; hence his crown of thorns.

1 comment:

  1. I didnt know this had happen to David we were friends in the 60-70s . I even made a sculpture for him ....one of his "wave" pieces .Loved David really great guy ....Peter Reginato

    ReplyDelete